Microsoft Word has a vast array of formatting settings that can be implemented and tweaked to get the desired results for each individual user. Some of these customizations have been discussed in other posts including customizing the following sections: General, Save, Proofing and Advanced Options, as well as customizing the Quick Access Toolbar and Style Defaults. This post covers how to modify the way mathematical fractions are displayed in Word so that they appear as fraction characters rather than inline characters like 1/2.
To force fractions to display as a character, enable the setting in Word by:
- Opening Word
- Click "File" in the upper left corner and select "Options"
- In the Word Options box, click "Proofing" in the menu on the left
- In the Proofing menu, click the "AutoCorrect Options" button at the top
- In the AutoCorrect menu, click the "AutoFormat As You Type" tab
- Place a check in the box next to "Fractions (1/2) with fraction character " to enable this setting
- Click "OK" twice to close the options menus
- The setting will now be active and applies to fractions as you type them (NOTE: This will not change existing fractions in the document because the feature is an AutoCorrect feature whose formatting is applied only when the item is being typed.)
As always, customization is the key to efficiency!