Using the Do Not Disturb feature is a great way to get some quiet time. However, it is important to understand how this feature works to ensure important communication can still be accomplished.
Allowing Specific Users to Bypass Do Not Disturb Settings
- Click Settings and select "Do Not Disturb".
- In the Do Not Disturb settings modify the following items as desired.
- Manual or scheduled - decide whether you want to manually enable Do Not Disturb or if you want the feature to automatically enable for specific periods of time.
- Who to allow calls from - the standard options are Everyone, No One, and Favorites. There are also Groups, like All Contacts and any other group of contacts you have created and linked to the device.
- When to silence - when Do Not Disturb is enabled, by default all calls and alerts are silenced when the phone is locked and while the phone is unlocked, alerts behave normally. This setting can be set so that all calls and alerts are always silenced regardless of whether the phone is locked or unlocked.
- Once modifications are made, simply close the settings app. If you have manually enabled the Do Not Disturb feature, be sure to disable it when finished so notifications of calls and alerts will behave normally.
Whatever the reason for needing some time sans notifications, whether it is to focus on an important deadline, to recover from alert fatigue, or simply to rest, this feature is invaluable in providing the controls to get this time away.
As always, knowing how to control features that already exist is an important part of being effective with technology!