The Dreaded Password Issue - Email Will Not Update
The most common problem users run into when accessing email on a smartphone is having an email account fail to update. Sometimes the user receives an error stating the password is incorrect or the connection to the server failed while other times there is no error message at all. Whether there are error messages or not, this issue is most commonly caused by an incorrect password.
If the password for the email account is reset or updated using any other device, the password must also be updated on the phone for the email account to work. When email accounts are initially set up on smartphones the password for the account is entered and stored on the phone. When the password is changed the stored password becomes invalid. To update the password for an existing email account open:
- Settings and click on "Mail, Contacts, Calendars"
- Click the name of the email account exhibiting the issue
- If the account details do not automatically display, click on "Account" at the top (the protocols used for each type of email account are responsible for the differences in account details)
- Scroll down to the Password cell
- Backspace over the existing password and type in the current password
- Click "Done" to save the new password
- Open Mail to test the email account settings
Flagging an email is useful to mark specific emails for easy access at a later time. To flag an email, from inside an email click the flag icon in the bottom left corner and select "Flag" in the pop up menu.
To access a flagged email later open Mail and click the Flagged inbox. Flagging emails allows emails to be quickly accessed later regardless of how many emails are delivered to the email account after an email is flagged. Emails that are commonly flagged are:
- Personal or work emails needing to be followed up on later
- Order and shipping confirmation emails (to track orders)
- Special offerings like sales and discounts
- Account information and confirmation emails
- Open "Mail"
- In the Mailboxes pane, click "Edit" in the upper right corner
- Touch the check box next to "Flagged" to turn on the inbox
- Click "Done"
To mark all emails in an email account as read at once:
- Open Mail and click on the email account
- Click "Edit" in the upper right corner
- Click "Mark All" in the bottom left corner
- Touch "Mark As Read" in the popup which will immediately mark every email in the account as read