However, when columns are added, they are added with the same widths which is rarely the best way to showcase the information. Instead, set unique column widths in Microsoft Word to format the information in the most efficient and effective way.
Also, watch a video on how to set unique columns widths.
Setting Unique Column Widths in Microsoft Word
- Open Word and click on the "Page Layout" tab.
- Click "Columns" and select the appropriate number of columns from the drop-down menu.
- The number of columns selected are created.
- The best way to add additional columns is to click "Columns" and select "More Columns" from the drop-down menu.
- This brings up the columns window showing the width of each column. Initially they are of equal sizing but they can be modified from here.
- Uncheck the box next to "Equal column width".
- Modify the width of any column smaller or larger which automatically adjusts the sizing of other available columns.
- Click "OK" to save these changes.
- Once the columns have been updated to represent the changes made, the column widths can also be adjusted directly within the document by sliding the multi-hashtag sign between columns in the ruler at the top. NOTE: This does not appear until the checkbox next to "Equal column width" has been unchecked.
- Adjust columns if desired and input information until finished.
As always, customization is the key to efficiency and satisfaction when it comes to software!