Changes can occur because the device was moved to a new location, plugged into a new port or simply was assigned different network settings. Sometimes changes are seamless while other times they are not. If the scanner for an all-in-one printer suddenly stops working and cannot connect to the device, try modifying the current scanner profile. The scanner profile manages the port used to connect to the printer which must be correct to function.
These steps show how to change the scanner profile for a Brother all-in-one but the process would be similar for any brand all-in-one machine.
How to Fix the Scanner Profile Used by an All-in-One PrinterAll-in-one machines sometimes install multiple devices in the Devices and Printers section of the Control Panel. Each device can represent one or more functions like printing, faxing, or scanning. The number of devices created varies based on software for the all-in-one device. If the scanner portion stops working, the following steps can help select the correct scanner profile.
- Open "Devices and Printers".
- Right-click on the device responsible for scanning.
- If you do not know which device is responsible for scanning, right click on the all-in-one device names until you are presented with the scan menu. The Scan menu consists of:
- Start scan
- Scan profiles
- Scan properties
- Select "Start scan".
- In the New Scan window, select "Change" to see which scanner profile is in use and what other options are available.
- In the Select Device window under Choose a Scanner, select the appropriate device by comparing the descriptions.
- If necessary, choose a scanner device and then click the "Properties" button.
- Within the properties menu test the scanner to be sure this is the correct profile.
- Click "OK" to save the correct scanner profile.
- If desired or not already tested, click "Scan" to test the scanner.
- Go back to the all-in-one software and verify the status says "Ready".
- Scan documents as desired.