Luckily, there is a way to fix built-in components and applications like Microsoft Edge when problems arise. Microsoft Edge, in particular, is especially tricky because you need to be able to get on the Internet to download another web browser like Firefox or Chrome. This is why it is always a good idea to download a secondary browser while things are working fine.
How to Fix Windows when Programs Like Edge Break
- First, make sure the device has access to the Internet.
- Then, open a command window by typing "cmd" in search.
- At the prompt, type "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth".
- DISM stands for Deployment Image Servicing and Management repair tool. It's purpose is to maintain the local copy of Windows source files which are used when Windows Programs and Features are added.
- As this process runs it repairs the local Windows image using Windows update to download and replace any necessary files.
- Once the first process finishes, type "sfc /scannow" in the command window. This process scans for corrupt Windows files and replaces them with files from the local Windows image updated in the first step.
- Reboot the machine.
- Open the applications that were previously having issues to verify they are working normally again.