To fix the broken printer issue, uninstall the Windows update. However, you are not done there because if that is all you do, the update will simply install itself again. To prevent the issue from coming back, you must block that update from installing again.
Visit our YouTube channel for the video that matches this post.
Broken Printers? How to Block the Windows Update that Caused this
Uninstall the offending update
- Open Control Panel, and select "Programs & Features".
- In the left panel, click "View installed updates" to access all installed Windows updates.
- Scroll down to the offending update. Click on the update and click the "Uninstall" button listed above the updates.
- If necessary, reboot the device to finish the install.
Blocking the update from re-installing
This is one of the most important steps in this process. If you skip this step, the update is likely to re-install itself and break the printers once again.
- Visit Microsoft's website at https://eyonic.com/1/?FP (link shortened for easier use).
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the link to "Download the 'Show or hide updates' troubleshooter package now".
- Save the troubleshooter to the desktop so it is easy to find.
- Double click the troubleshooter to start it.
- In the troubleshooter window, click "Next" to begin the troubleshooter.
- The troubleshooter will gather information about the installed updates.
- When prompted to hide updates or show hidden updates, select "Hide updates".
- In the next window, select the update to hide by placing a checkbox next to the update.
- In the last window, verify the issue is in a "fixed" state and then close the troubleshooter.
Verify the printers are working again
- Open a document and test printing to one of the printers that was not printing.
- If the document still does not print:
- Reboot the device and try again.
- Uninstall then reinstall the printer. In our experience this was only necessary in some situations.
- Optional: try accessing the printer properties, these should come up without any errors about the drivers not being installed.
As always, sometimes we might not know what caused an issue, but knowing how to work around them is key!