- Provide directions including traffic updates
- Connect to our email
- Open documents
- Connect us with other people via messaging apps, social media and video calls
- Provide news, weather, streaming and more
- Take pictures and video
- Oh yeah, and make calls!
How to Protect Smartphones from Viruses & Other Vulnerabilities
- Do not open emails or email attachments from unknown sources
- Do not re-use passwords
- Refrain from clicking on links in websites that seem questionable
- Go directly to the source when possible
- Skip those links in emails
- Look up company phone numbers before calling
- Update the operating system software promptly as these often address security risks in addition to adding features
- Update software when possible, these also regularly address security risks
On Android - Be careful when downloading and installing apps. Part of what makes users such big fans of Android software is the huge variety and availability of new apps. Apps can be downloaded directly from Google Play as well as alternative marketplaces and directly from some websites.
On iOS - While the iOS app store has the reputation of being stricter on new app approvals, no system is perfect so always use caution downloading new apps.
Before downloading any app, read the reviews. Ask trusted peers if they have heard anything or used the app. Search for the app on the Internet to see if there is any red flags. Sometimes an app is free of viruses but causes phone crashes and other such annoyances you might not want to deal with.
Smartphones are known for being more resilient to threats than computers and laptops. However, smartphones have become mini-computers and as we spend more time on them, they will become a bigger target. To protect your smartphone, make sure you are installing trusted apps, back up your device regularly in case of a failure, and share your experiences with others. Lastly, always trust your gut!
As always, there is so much information available to us if we simply take the time to find it. In doing so we will better protect our devices!